Unable to compile project with recyclerview-v7 dependency

Hello

I am unable to compile my project with recyclerview-v7 dependency uncommented in the starter hello world js+nativescript template.

I am pretty new to nativescript and am unable to find any help for this topic on google.

I have updated all requirements. Have got the latest tns and android build tools and oreo.

I am using windows 10 x64 architecture.
without this dependency everything works fine.

and please tell what is this? until now I have understood that this lets us install app on android v < kitkat.

I have previously made an android app in android studio which used to add this package to support devices with lower android versions.

If I am wrong please correct me with this.
My main aim is to target all previous versions upto jellybean 4.1

when I build the project the output is :

F:\Ashish\Android\myProjects\HelloWorld>tns build android
Preparing projectā€¦
Successfully prepared plugin nativescript-theme-core for android.
Successfully prepared plugin tns-core-modules for android.
Successfully prepared plugin tns-core-modules-widgets for android.
Project successfully prepared (android)
Building projectā€¦
Gradle buildā€¦
+ applying user-defined configuration from F:\Ashish\Android\myProjects\HelloWorld\app\App_Resources\Android\app.gradle
+ adding nativescript runtime package dependency: nativescript-optimized
+ adding aar plugin dependency: F:\Ashish\Android\myProjects\HelloWorld\node_modules\tns-core-modules-widgets\platforms\android\widgets-release.aar
false
Running full build
F:\Ashish\Android\myProjects\HelloWorld\platforms\android\app\src\debug\java\com\tns\ErrorReportActivity.java:13: error: cannot access ActivityCompatApi23
public class ErrorReportActivity extends AppCompatActivity {
^
class file for android.support.v4.app.ActivityCompatApi23 not found
F:\Ashish\Android\myProjects\HelloWorld\platforms\android\app\src\debug\java\com\tns\ErrorReportActivity.java:15: error: cannot find symbol
setTheme(android.support.v7.appcompat.R.style.Theme_AppCompat_NoActionBar);
^
symbol: method setTheme(int)
F:\Ashish\Android\myProjects\HelloWorld\platforms\android\app\src\debug\java\com\tns\ErrorReportActivity.java:17: error: cannot find symbol
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
^
symbol: variable super
F:\Ashish\Android\myProjects\HelloWorld\platforms\android\app\src\debug\java\com\tns\ErrorReportActivity.java:19: error: cannot find symbol
new ErrorReport(this).buildUI();
^
symbol: variable this
F:\Ashish\Android\myProjects\HelloWorld\platforms\android\app\src\debug\java\com\tns\ErrorReportActivity.java:22: error: method does not override or implement a method from a supertype
@Override
^
F:\Ashish\Android\myProjects\HelloWorld\platforms\android\app\src\debug\java\com\tns\ErrorReportActivity.java:24: error: cannot find symbol
super.onUserLeaveHint();
^
symbol: variable super
F:\Ashish\Android\myProjects\HelloWorld\platforms\android\app\src\debug\java\com\tns\ErrorReportActivity.java:27: error: cannot find symbol
ErrorReport.killProcess(this);
^
F:\Ashish\Android\myProjects\HelloWorld\platforms\android\app\src\debug\java\com\tns\ErrorReportActivity.java:40: error: cannot find symbol
Toast.makeText(this, ā€œCouldnā€™t resolve permissionsā€, Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();
^
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
8 errors

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

• What went wrong:
    Execution failed for task ā€˜:app:compileDebugJavaWithJavacā€™.

Compilation failed; see the compiler error output for details.

• Try:
    Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

• Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

BUILD FAILED in 2m 41s
Command gradlew.bat failed with exit code 1

Extend NativeScript's default WebViewClient implementation
Console.log behaves differently in node than in {N}

The + notation for version in your dependency declaration is an anti-pattern and something we do not recommend.

Instead, you should check for the process property supportVersion and use that instead to avoid version clashes -

dependencies {
	def supportVer = "+"
	if (project.hasProperty("supportVersion")) {
		supportVer = supportVersion
	}

compile "com.android.support:recyclerview-v7:$supportVer"
}

Thank you sir. This came default in the starter template.

Will this script help me run my app on jellybean?

It comes as a default, so that you can uncomment it and work on it, instead of wonder about the correct syntax.

Whether your project will run - that depends on a lot of factors. What do you plan on using the dependency for? Why are you concerned about your project not running on jellybean?

Because I want to build a app for myself and I want to run that app on my all devices. One of my android is jellybean.

The app didnt install on that device.

Hello thanks your solution worked. The project compiled,

but I am not able to install it on jellybean.

when I click the apk file on device ,it says ā€œThere is a problem parsing the packageā€

Please suggest how can I compile the app to run on jellybean

@ashishbindal93

I am not sure we cleared that up but, which Jellybean is that? API 16 or API 17? The min Sdk version for all NativeScript applications is 17.

I want to run on jelly bean 4.1.2 (Api 16)

Any help with this problem will be grateful

You canā€™t. The lowest that NativeScript supports is API 17.

Thanks for the help.