`tns run android` won't launch emulator

I had Android development working (by going through the standard NativeScript install instructions in the Getting Started guide), but discovered I needed Google Play Services. In my attempts to get that working I messed up my environment somehow. (My playing around included installing Android Studio, but it didn’t work out so I uninstalled it.) Now tns run android won’t launch the emulator (I get “Emulator start failed with: Cannot run your app in the native emulator.”)

I finally discovered that if I run emulator @pixel then the emulator launches and tns run android will find it, install my app, and run it. So I can develop, but it’s awkward.

My debugging turned up the following:
tns doctor reports no problems
echo $ANDROID_HOME gives /usr/local/share/android-sdk
tns device android --available-devices gives

Available emulators
┌─────────────┬──────────┬────────────┬───────────────────┐
│ Device Name │ Platform │ Version    │ Device Identifier │
│             │ Android  │ android-25 │ pixel             │
└─────────────┴──────────┴────────────┴───────────────────┘

tns run android --log trace produces this interesting line:

Starting Android emulator with image pixel
spawn: /usr/local/share/android-sdk/tools/emulator "-avd" "pixel"

but it then hangs.
So I tried running that command by hand and got:

Could not launch '/usr/local/share/android-sdk/emulator/qemu/darwin-x86_64/qemu-system-i386': No such file or directory

Indeed, ls /usr/local/share/android-sdk/ shows that there is no emulator directory. Further, which emulator gives /usr/local/bin/emulator instead of the expected /usr/local/share/android-sdk/emulator (at least, I think that’s what it should be???).

Somehow, it looks like I need to install emulators in /usr/local/share/android-sdk but I don’t know how to do that, or if that will even fix the problem.

Any guesses anyone?
Robert

Try starting the emulator manually before running the project.

Yes, as mentioned, I can do that with emulator @pixel and develop/debug, but it’s an awkward development process. Since I apparently have several copies of android-sdk installed, different tools pick different locations, so I can’t, for example, figure out how to upgrade the SDK.

I’m sorry it sounds like something specific with your machine. Pick one latest installation path and make sure same path is configured on environment variable (Windows) / bash profile (Mac).