Is installing the Android SDK redundant?

Hi, In the guide NativeScript Advanced Setup: Linux

At step

1. Setup Android Emulators (AVD) by following the article here

Is there any other way to specify/setup the Android Virtual Device without installing the Android Virtual Studio? If not, then I would have to ask why we would have to install the Android SDK if Android Virtual Studio already comes with the SDK? Wouldn’t the steps required to install the various components

sudo $ANDROID_HOME/tools/bin/sdkmanager "tools" "platform-tools" "platforms;android-25" "build-tools;25.0.2" "extras;android;m2repository" "extras;google;m2repository"

be better done in the studio app (unless the studio app already had these things installed)?

What do you think about this?

Thanks.

There have been a ton of changes to Android’s tooling and the way the SDK is distributed. I am not even sure it is feasible to try to setup Android development environment without installing the Android Studio because of how different it is done now compared to 6 months ago.

By all means, use Android Studio’s SDK manager to create/manage your virtual devices and necessary packages.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

I went ahead and installed Android Studio. It is quite the beast, and took me a little time to setup on linux before I could create a virtual device. It also had some issues detecting the default SDK so it was helpful to point it to the one I had installed from the NativeScript docs. This pretty much made the whole thing go a little smoother. I would conclude that the docs are fine, and my earlier inquiry should be ignored :smiley:

Thanks.