Installing NativeScript IDE on Raspberry Pi?

Hello,
I’m very new to NativeScript, and I’m (ironically) trying to help other newbies get started quickly with it. Does it make sense to install NativeScript and Angular framework on a Raspberry Pi 3, do a couple of example projects, and then make an image of the Raspberry Pi SD card to distribute to others? The idea is that they can get started right away with editing the example project rather then spend the entirety of a workshop installing the development environment.

It’s all about speed to developing that first app. What kinds of things would still make this difficult? To make APK’s to install on Android devices (not worried about iOS), are there custom things that are needed for each brand of Android phone developed in NativeScript? For example, I’d like to develop a BLE app (scans for known service, connects to service and reads a characteristic). Is there a phone-specific aspects of interfacing with the BLE API on different phones, or does Android’s Bluetooth API pretty much abstract that enough that it generally works across Android up to a certain OS version?

What OS on the Pi would work well for NativeScript development? Ubuntu? Raspbian?

Would they still have to install the USB driver for their specific Android phone in order to get the live view part working?

I’m trying to gauge how realistic it is to be able to make a Raspberry Pi image for students to develop apps on that they can actually make working API’s for their own Android phones.

Thanks,
Eric

@nativenew the first and foremost thing to take into consideration would be the available hardware on the Raspberry. And I don’t expect it to be even in the lower-end in terms of what is considered “good” computing power. Instead, you might consider leveraging NativeScript Sidekick’s cloud builds, or setting up a central building infrastructure yourself.

@Pete.K, thanks for telling me about the cloud build feature. That’s great. If I understand it correctly, it means that you can make a single OS image with NativeScript CLI and the dependencies, and then rely on the cloud build to generate the APK for different Android phones that students might have. That works out well, since the common parts can stay common and the unique parts (having the right SDK’s) are maintained on the cloud.

I’ve been looking at alternative hardware platforms, and I think I might use the Odroid xU4. It’s a much more powerful SBC than the Pi3. I’m hoping the combination of Sidekick and a fast hardware development platform and ready-use OS image would take away a lot of the tedious work.

Thanks.