From tutorial, can't set password field's value

At https ://, we put the following in the constructor for convenience (for some reason when I try to post with the link, discourse says “Sorry you cannot post a link to that host.” - that’s why the link is broken up):

this.user = new User(); = "";
this.user.password = "password";

But the password field is not set (at least in android, I’m not currently using ios). The email field sets fine. I’ve also tried this code in ngOnInit and that doesn’t work either.

However, if it put the following inside login:

if (!this.user.password) {
  this.user.password = "password";

then when I tap “SIGN IN”, I see the password field populate briefly and I can login (the characters are not readable of course, just the little circles).

I’m guessing this has something to do with it being a “secure” field, but I don’t understand the behavior and can’t find where it might be documented. Why can I set it in login, but not in constructor or ngOnInit?

Hey :smile:

Thanks again for reporting these. You’re right, and this this is something that definitely changed with 3.0 because it didn’t use to work that way before. Let me do some digging.

Just to follow up on this I confirmed this bug and went ahead and reported it at Hopefully we can get this resolved soon.

Thanks again for reporting this.