Do I need LaunchImages even if I build for iOS 9+?

I’ve been reading the launch screen related info in the docs: https://docs.nativescript.org/publishing/creating-launch-screens-ios#setting-launch-screen-and-app-icons

It says that LaunchImages are only needed if I target iOS 7 or lower. I’m targeting iOS 9 so it would mean I don’t need the LaunchImages (only LaunchScreens). But when I remove (delete) the LaunchImage folder, I get errors when I build:

error: None of the input catalogs contained a matching launch image set named "LaunchImage"

I’m not sure if I understand why do I still need to folder with LaunchImages if I’m not using them? But if I don’t need them, then why I’m getting the error?

In case YOU will ever run into this, here’s the list of things…

I came to the conclusion that the reason I was getting this error because:

1. I was building for iOS 9 or greater AND…
  2. I got rid of the LaunchImage assets (since you don’t need that for iOS 8 or greater AND…
  3. I did not uncomment the very last line in the file App_Resources/iOS/build.xcconfig

The line that compiles your LaunchImage assets is the last line:
ASSETCATALOG_COMPILER_LAUNCHIMAGE_NAME = LaunchImage;

Apparently this line needs to be commented out or deleted, otherwise it will want to compile your non-existent LaunchImage assets.

I am looking forward to the day when the documentation will indeed be the documentation that would spell things like this out, as opposed to spending hours figuring out why it doesn’t work. Of course I have not submitted anything to the app store before, so I don’t know if I will get rejection or not because of this, but we shall see…